Thursday, August 29, 2013

My first job interview

When I was 17, my parents (especially my dad, who always felt I was not independent or outgoing enough) decided it was time for me to get a job.  They wanted me to have more interactions with the general public. What better way to accomplish this than to find a job?

Upon hearing my parents' "suggestion," before even stepping foot outside the door, my freight train filled with cargoes of anxiety and self-doubt were already rushing through my mind.  I knew I had to do it though.  There was no way I could hide under my parents' wings forever.  No way.  They wouldn't allow it, I wouldn't want to. 

I didn't even know where to begin to look for a job.  Getting a job was such a generalized term, bubbles of possibilities quickly filled my thoughts.  How would I make it through the interview?  In fact, I didn't know how I would apply for a job.  Then there was the question of, what if I was hired?  Would I learn fast enough to fit in?

I found an ad in our local newspaper.  It was a chiropractor's office looking for a front desk receptionist.  I was hesitant to pick up the phone to call, I was scared.  I did not like speaking to strangers on the phone.  After 4 years of constant training from my parents, however, my logical side overrode my fear.  It was not a choice.  I would have to be on my own one day.  This was barely the beginning.

I ran through the potential phone conversation in my mind many times with its many possible outcomes. It turned out much easier than I thought.  The office asked me when I would be able to start, if I had any experience, and if I knew how to type.  The lady then promptly asked me to come in for an interview. 

We agreed to meet that same day.  I was very excited of the opportunity, the ease of how smoothly our phone conversation went gave me a lot of hope.  Of course I was anxious as well, worried that I might mess up during the interview.  My mom helped me pick out an appropriate outfit.  She told me that look was not everything, but a good first impression could be my first step towards success. 

As she drove me to my interview, she simply told me that no matter the outcome, everything would be okay.  It wasn't like this job was going to make or break our family.  She said the experience would help me grow.  As I was getting out of the car, she reminded me to smile, look people in the eyes when I spoke, and to try my best to appear confident.  She said no one would want an employee at the front desk who was shy and unsure. 

My interview with the chiropractor went just as smoothly.  All questions asked were ones I had already prepared for.  At the end of our interview, I was asked to demonstrate my typing skill.  I was one of the fastest typist in my typing class in high school.  It was something I knew I could do well.  I did not boast about it, but I was not worried. 

Well, life is full of surprises.  The keyboard I was tested on was a lot softer than the one I used in school.  I tried to remain calm and give myself a chance to adjust.  Unfortunately,  spur of the moment adaptation was never my strength.  I ended up typing much much slower than I liked.  I was not happy with the result.  The chiropractor did not make any comment.  She told me she would get back to me in a few days. 

My mom knew from my silence that things did not go as I had hoped for.  She helped me by not making a big deal out of it.  She did not comfort me, nor did she feel bad for me.  She did not let it ruin our day.  Her attitude was, so what's your next plan?  





2 comments: